Dec 2, 2008 - Electronics    Comments Off on Refoamed Speaker Surrounds

Refoamed Speaker Surrounds

My Advent Prodigy II speakers were completely rotten around the outside. It makes sense since I bought them in 1992!  The foam had rotted completely out and the crumbled remains were laying on the floor. So, I began searching and I came across lots of speakers, including some AP-II’s that had been "refoamed." So, after a few Google searches, I figured out what "refoamed" meant and I found lots of information on how to do it. So, another ebay search, I found a kit that looked promising – two surrounds, glue, shims, brushes and a set of instructions. So I ordered it and got started.

The instructions that came with mine basically followed this sequence:

  1. Remove the speaker elements from the cabinet.  No problem.
  2. Scrape and cut the old surrounds away and get all loose material removed.  Makes glue stick better later.  I used my fingernails first, and it made a big mess.  I recommend an "orange stick" usually sold where you find fingernail polish.
  3. Cut the dust cap (the roundish mesh in the center of the speaker) loose from the cone, leaving a small section remaining to hold it perfectly in place.  This gives you access to the voice coil tube that rides over the magnet so the paper shims can be installed.  By far, this is the hardest thing to do.  If you choose to do so, use a very sharp knife and take your time.  I recommend skipping this part and wing it with the centering.
  4. After installing the shims, glue the new foam surround to the cone.  This was a basic process sort of like contact cement.  Paint a thin layer of glue on both surfaces.  Let it dry until it’s tacky, and press the two parts together.  I think it’s better to put the glue on a little thick rather than have too little glue.  You’ll figure it out after your first pair of speakers.
  5. Once the glue dries, then glue the surround to the speaker frame.  Same process with the glue – both surfaces and let it dry until it’s tacky.  The shims hold everything centered, if you chose to cut the dust cap loose.
  6. Finally, glue the "gasket" back on, and glue the dust cap back on.  I did the cap first, then the gasket.  I turned the speakers face down on the hardwood floor and sat the couch on top to hold it all together while the glue set.
  7. Reinstall the speaker in the cabinet.  Make sure the glue dries because you’ll really want to crank it up for a test.

So far, they sound really good.  I haven’t turned it up very far since the glue isn’t dry.  But, I’ve saved a whole lot of money and it looks like they’re gonna be great.  I really think this is a good idea if you have an expensive set of speakers that are blown out.  If you don’t want to do it yourself, throw away your nice blown out speakers by placing them in my garage.  I’ll be glad to take them off your hands.

Comments are closed.